Monday, September 16, 2013

3D Printed Characters



These are some photos of two 3D-printed models I had made for my 2011 thesis show. The model above is a viking character I had created a year or so before, and the one below is the (sort of) self-portrait character model from my 3D-animated thesis short film, Ascension.

Both models were printed using a powder-based printer, though I don't know the printer's exact specs. The printed models cam out white, with a rough texture, and were pretty fragile at their thinnest points. I painted on a type of super glue to harden the material and greatly increase its durability. I also gently sanded them to tone down their rough texture. They could have done with some more sanding, but being my first 3D-printed models, I was a little paranoid about breaking them. The final step was covering them with a combination of brown, black, and gold acrylic paint to give the models a bronze look. Pale green was later added to cracks and crevices to create a faux patina.

The viking models measures neartly 7 inches tall, while the other is about 6.25 inches.